Thursday, July 17, 2008

questions


as you might imagine, i have been asked a few questions about foster parenting and adoption over the past 18 months. and don't get me wrong, i love the questions. i could sit and talk about adoption and the foster care system in this country for days. it makes me so proud to tell mia's story. but, someone asked me a question yesterday that really stuck with me.
the funny thing is, it was not even the first time i have been asked this exact question. and my answer has never changed. she asked me, "does it really feel like mia is your child, i mean really?" and i replied, "yes, 100%, from the first time i laid eyes on her, YES!" right mom? now this might not be true for every person who adopts. and i place no judgement on that. but, it's just some food for thought. i read a quote recently...
The family is changing, not disappearing. We have to broaden our understanding of it, look for the new metaphors. -Mary Catherine Bateson

i want to thank all of your opening your minds and your hearts and loving us. i know it seems like a no-brainer, but just when i think that everyone is like us, i find myself reminded that this is not yet a reality in our society. it hits me like a punch in the gut. i may hunch over for a second but, it doesn't take long to feel God's hand pick me up and stand me back up tall. and i know He works through each and every one of you as well. so i humbly thank you today and every day. :)


1 comment:

Jeff Reininger said...

wow....beautifully said! oh, and i hope you two are enjoying the beach, ya rats!!